This format offers the same high quality course content, but you can save on time, travel and accommodation costs. It also allows you to manage external evening commitments and build networks in your home city.
The course comes alive through discussion, debate, challenging conversations and case studies, with board simulation exercises highlighting the unpredictable nature of business and the human nature of directorship. This course is facilitated by directors who are willing to share their personal experiences and hard-earned wisdom.
- Best practice corporate governance
- Corporate governance principles, rules, and protocols
- Governance skills
- Strategy in the boardroom
- What is strategy and strategic thinking
- The board and strategy development
- Monitoring and reviewing implementation
- Refreshing strategy and innovation
- Finance and the board’s role
- What are the financial statements and reports telling you at a very high level?
- Interpreting the reports
- Financial planning
- Making investment appraisals
- Understanding company valuations
- Directors and the law
- A director’s legal obligations, liabilities, and mitigating legal risks
- Directors’ and officers’ insurance
- Board dynamics and culture
- Role of the board in developing culture, ethics and values
- Corporate social responsibility
- Board dynamics
- Leadership and CEO succession
- Board and CEO review
- Risk governance
- Key risk management concepts
- Risk appetite
Who should attend?
To attend the CDC we recommend the following:
- you are a director with at least 1 – 5 years experience as a director on a board, or working with a board – for example as a CEO, CFO or managing director
- you have a sound knowledge and understanding of business finance.
If you are unsure whether you meet the pre-requisites for the CDC and would like to discuss this, please contact the Director Development team on 04 499 0076.
Members: $6,085 incl GST
Non-members: $8,095 incl GST
Not a member? Join online now to receive the member rate.
The CDC requires a sound knowledge and understanding of business finance. In fairness to other delegates and to enhance your learning experience, we recommend that unless you have a financial qualification you take the finance skills assessment test and attend the Finance Essentials course prior to attending the CDC if you need to up-skill.
You will be provided with pre-course reading. Please allow adequate time to review a set of board papers which you will receive approximately two weeks before your course start date.
If none of the non-residential course dates suit your schedule, you may be interested in checking the residential schedule to see if a more suitable time exists.
You will be required to attend each scheduled session to gain certification. In order to receive the certificate in Company Direction the delegate must attend all course sessions and board meetings including the welcome breakfast on Monday morning. If a delegate breaches any of the above course certification prerequisites they will not be eligible for certification. Compassionate consideration will only be considered should it affect your study ability (illness, injury and bereavement) and will be granted at the discretion of the IoD.
Everything you need to know about the Company Directors' Course - Non-residential.
“The course solidified the knowledge I had gained on the job and even filled a few gaps. If anyone is serious about being a professional director this course is a must do.” – testimonial from a CDC attendee
Company Directors' Course facilitators include: