Mentoring for Diversity is about to enter its eighth year. The programme promotes diversity in its wider sense including ethnicity, age, skills and experience in addition to gender.
The Mentoring for Diversity programme aims to:
- enhance mentees governance knowledge and skills in order to assist them in achieving director appointments, particularly in large company environments
- increase mentees’ understanding of how listed and large company boards work
- enhance the connections between senior directors and chairs, adding to the diversity of the director pool and making board-ready talent more visible.
Each year applications are sought from members who believe their diversity can contribute to board performance.
- have a solid track record in executive management/board advisory roles plus board experience
- be currently seeking NZX or large company board appointments (is a current aspiration)
- have the capability and capacity to be offered a place on the board of a NZX company or organisation of similar size
- be flexible with their time in order to prepare for and commit to meetings with their mentor throughout the year
- be prepared to share their learnings at group mentee sessions a few times a year (dates to be advised)
- not already be a director on the board of two or more NZX or large companies
- not have participated in a previous year’s IoD Mentoring for Diversity programme.
Applications for the 2019/20 programme will open on Monday 11 March 2019 and close 12 noon Wednesday 10 April 2019.
" I am thoroughly enjoying the mentor programme experience – working with David Pilkington has been a pleasure. We have had several productive sessions, worked on my governance CV and met with board recruiters. I am overwhelmed at how generous David has been with his time, encouraging of me, and introducing me to his networks. It has been a wonderful opportunity, so thank you to the IoD for making it possible." – Paula Jackson, 2017/18 Mentee
About the programme
Established in 2012, the first three years of the Mentoring for Diversity programme linked experienced women directors (mentees) with chairmen and senior directors (mentors) from NZX and large company boards for a 12 month period. The focus was on women because there was such an obvious imbalance on boards. However the IoD has always believed that diversity of thought does not only stem from a better gender balance on boards, so in 2015 the programme widened its focus. Research has shown that a board of directors who can offer different perspectives are more likely to consider a wider range of alternatives.
Lists of the mentees who have taken part in the programme can be found below.