Our renowned residential course format, running successfully for over 30 years, is a learning experience free from daily distractions. It offers the best opportunity to learn and network with high performing peers from across New Zealand, while engaging in informal discussions invaluable for your learning, helping to make truly lasting connections.
We also offer a non-residential course format for the Company Directors’ Course.
The course comes alive through discussion, debate, challenging conversations and case studies, with board simulation exercises highlighting the unpredictable nature of business and the human nature of directorship. This course is facilitated by directors who are willing to share their personal experiences and hard-earned wisdom.
- Best practice corporate governance
- Corporate governance principles, rules, and protocols
- Governance skills
- Strategy in the boardroom
- What is strategy and strategic thinking
- The board and strategy development
- Monitoring and reviewing implementation
- Refreshing strategy and innovation
- Finance and the board’s role
- What are the financial statements and reports telling you at a very high level?
- Interpreting the reports
- Financial planning
- Making investment appraisals
- Understanding company valuations
- Directors and the law
- A director’s legal obligations, liabilities, and mitigating legal risks
- Directors’ and officers’ insurance
- Board dynamics and culture
- Role of the board in developing culture, ethics and values
- Corporate social responsibility
- Board dynamics
- Leadership and CEO succession
- Board and CEO review
- Risk governance
- Key risk management concepts
- Risk appetite
Who should attend?
To attend the CDC we recommend the following:
- you are a director with at least 1 – 5 years experience as a director on a board, or working with a board – for example as a CEO, CFO or managing director
- you have a sound knowledge and understanding of business finance.
Completing the CDC is a pre-requisite to becoming a Chartered Member of the IoD.
The prices vary depending on the location to reflect the different venue costs. The accommodation cost for this five day residential course is included in the price.
Auckland (incl GST)
Members: $7,425 Non-members: $9,650
Waiheke Island (incl GST)
Members: $7,425 Non-members: $9,650
Wellington (incl GST)
Members: $7,350 Non-members: $9,550
Members: $7,695 Non-members: $9,995
Not a member? Join online to receive the member rate.
Standard membership is $485 incl GST + $150 joining fee.
The CDC requires a sound knowledge and understanding of business finance. In fairness to other delegates and to enhance your learning experience, we recommend that unless you have a financial qualification you take the finance skills assessment test and attend the Finance Essentials course prior to attending the CDC if you need to up-skill.
You will be provided with pre-course reading. Please allow adequate time to review a set of board papers which you will receive approximately two weeks before your course start date.
If none of the residential course dates suit your schedule, you may be interested in checking the non-residential schedule to see if a more suitable time exists.
You will be required to attend each session to gain certification. In order to receive the certificate in Company Direction the delegate must attend all course sessions and board meetings, attend all organised dinners and not miss more than an hour of any other activity. If a delegate breaches any of the above course certification prerequisites they will not be eligible for certification. Compassionate consideration will only be considered should it affect your study ability (illness, injury and bereavement) and will be granted at the discretion of the IoD.
If you feel you will not be able to meet these requirements, it may be worth considering attending a non-residential course which has slightly different completion requirements.
Everything you need to know about the Company Directors' Course - Residential.
“The course solidified the knowledge I had gained on the job and even filled a few gaps. If anyone is serious about being a professional director this course is a must do.” – testimonial from a CDC attendee
Company Directors' Course facilitators include: